Indigenous journalists and journalism students in Canada are invited to join the Indigenous Reporters Network, a joint initiative between the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) and Journalists for Human Rights (JHR).
The Indigenous Reporters Network is a network of Indigenous journalists within the CAJ. This network provides Indigenous journalists at all career stages with opportunities to develop their skills, participate in CAJ events and professional development, and build new connections with their peers across the country.
Members of the network will receive a free two-year CAJ membership. To join, please indicate on the CAJ membership form that you are Indigenous and that you are interested in the Indigenous Reporters Network when applying for your CAJ membership.
CAJ membership level (full, student or associate) will be determined based on standard CAJ membership guidelines. Current or recent participants in JHR programs are eligible for student memberships.
If you are a current CAJ member, please contact the CAJ to be added to the network. You will be eligible for a free two-year membership when your current membership comes up for renewal.
How to Join:
- Go to www.caj.ca/Membership
- Complete the membership application form
- Under “School / Business Name” JHR program participants should write JHR, otherwise answer normally
- While filling out the form, indicate that you are Indigenous and interested in joining the Indigenous Reporters Network
- Skip the payment section on page two
- Your application will be vetted by the CAJ according to their eligibility guidelines and you will be assigned a membership at either the Class A, or Associate level.
Members of the Indigenous Reporters will be added to the Indigenous Reporters Network listserv and invited to a virtual networking event for Indigenous journalists, in addition to regular CAJ membership benefits.
You can receive a CAJ membership card if you are eligible at the Class A level – this includes journalists, media managers, journalism instructors and students (see guidelines for details).
If you would like to have a photo included on your membership card, you must email one to [email protected] at the time of application. Please use the file format: LastName_FirstName.jpg.
This initiative is supported by RBC Future Launch.